Cover Your Tracks
WARNING: An abuser may try to track your Internet activities!
Special attention needs to be taken when visiting web sites on the internet. Information you have brought up on the internet (including our web page) may be viewed by anyone who knows how to access your computer's history or cache file.
In order to prevent this from happening, you should turn on private browsing and/or clear your browser's history. This can be done by accessing your internet browser settings.
Clearing web browser histories in this way will delete ALL histories of visited websites. If you are concerned that someone may be checking up on your Internet usage, the absence of all files and history may appear suspicious. Instead of clearing your history everytime you visit the webpage, you can use the instructions below to turn on private browsing before you visit the webpage. Additionally, there are other software programs available that can track website visits.
Here is what to do:
1. Pull down Tools menu, select "InPrivate Browsing"
2. Visit www.wcspittsburgh.org in the new "InPrivate Browsing" window.
1. Pull down Tools menu, select "Delete Browsing History"
1. Pull down Tools menu, select "Start Private Browsing"
2. After you are finished looking at WC&S' website, pull down Tools menu and select "Stop Private Browsing"
1. Pull down Tools menu, select "Clear Recent History"
1. Click "Ctrl + Shift + N" to open a 'New Incognito Window" OR click on the wrench icon a tthe top right of the window and select "New Incognito Window"
1. Click the wrench at the top right of the window
2. Click History
3. Click the box to the left of "Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh" and click "Remove selected items" to only delete your history of visiting WC&S' website.
4. OR click "Clear all browsing data" to delete your entire internet browsing history
1. Pull down Members menu, select "Preferences."
2. Click on WWW icon.
3. Select "Advanced."
4. Click "Purge Cache."
1. Pull down Edit menu.
2. In the menu that drops down, click on "Preferences."
3. Click on Navigator and choose "Clear History."
4. Click on Advanced then select "Cache."
5. Click on "Clear Disk Cache."
If you believe that someone may be monitoring your Internet activity, try using a friend's computer, or one at the public library -- or call our 24 Hour Hotline at 412-687-8005 or 877-338-8255 to avoid leaving a trail of visited Internet websites.
Call our 24-hour Hotline at 412-687-8005 or
toll free, 877-338-TALK (8255) for help or more information.